“& everyone has a seat at this table.”
Above are the last words of Urban Beets Café & Juicery’s manifesto. That’s right they don’t just have a slogan or a mission statement they have a manifesto. It includes words like compassionate, empathy, and progress. Words that resonate with almost every human being and most of the time invoke thought. See it for yourself.
To live their manifesto, Urban Beets gives back to the community with their monthly Paws and Straws fundraising event which happens each month on a Thursday from 5:00-9:00pm. 50% of proceeds go to an organization of their choosing. They also sell eco-straws where 100% of the proceeds goes to the organization. Pretty cool, huh.
Beside oozing positivity and building community, they are all about serving plant-based foods that are healthy, quality, and eco-friendly. Their menu is full of colorful, inspired dishes and juices that could turn any meat eater into a vegetarian. Plus, they sling whimsical sake drinks, wine, and beer at their bar. I tried the Pineapple Mojito and envied the Bloody Mary. I had never tried cold sake before and was pleasantly surprised.
I asked what five things any visitor should know before stepping into Urban Beets:
- They make everything from scratch. I mean everything. Cashew Cream Cheese, homemade. Carrot Lox, homemade. Coconut Bacon, homemade.
- Every item on their menu is accessible and identifiable. You won’t find any weird soy concoctions here.
- Variety is key. Their dishes range from poke’ bowls, to juices, to pizza, to burgers.
- Community impact and being environmentally conscious is important. As I mentioned, each month they hold an event for an organization that they believe in.
- Their atmosphere is made to relax and hangout. It’s a great place to study, read a book, catch up with a friend or even listen to live music if you catch it.
Urban Beets’ Wauwatosa location opened in August, so now you have two locations to add to your list this weekend. I had the Smokey BLT Burger and the UB Poke Bowl, however, my favorite thing on the menu is the Nutty Nib smoothie bowl.
Are you following me on social yet? No? Get to it!